Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Song title:  “A walk on the monopoly board (using real money)”

A salute to the GenX highly-educated precariat* (with apologies to John Schurmann and Redgum)

Mum and Dad and Caro came to the auction round the corner
It was a long way from the quote

My place was next to be tarted up and sold
And baby-boomer neighbours lined the footpaths as we* cringed against the fence
This photo from the auction shows us shocked and scarred and lined

God help me – I was already forty-nine

And can you tell me, tradie, why I still can’t get to sleep?
And why the sound of auction clapping chills me to my feet?
And what’s this regret that comes and stays, can you tell me why it grinds?

God help me – I was already forty-nine

           * Or is it only me?

Comments:
Avoid auctions. Go buy a house on the fringes.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?